Kickstart Helix is a fresh new learning program designed to support emerging and early career artists, curators, producers and writers from across Australia. This year-long program combines professional skills development with creative discussion and critical feedback through a series of residencies, workshops, showings and events, together with self-directed learning and ongoing staff support. Kickstarters are connected with peers, professionals and organisations from around the country, growing their networks and supporting them to produce and present their most ambitious work yet.
Next Wave’s learning programs have launched the careers of some of Australia’s best and brightest – so if you’re aspiring to make bold new work and become a leader of the new generation in Australian art, then Kickstart Helix is for you.
The way that artists work has changed a lot since Next Wave began 32 years ago. Our development programs have become some of the most prestigious and competitive in the country and our Festival has grown to become the leading platform in Australia for emerging artists. We’re always listening – working to make sure the programs we run are more relevant, more inclusive and more empowering for Australia’s future art leaders. So we’ve made a few changes.
Kickstart Helix combines all the best bits of Next Wave’s Kickstart, Emerging Curators Program and Writers in Residence (and previously Text Camp) learning programs into one comprehensive package. There are many different paths that an arts career can take, so it makes sense to come together and learn collaboratively. Artists are often producers, curators are often writers, and people take up different roles in different contexts. We understand that everyone’s needs are different. Plus, there’s a lot to learn from both professionals and peers: Kickstarters will be challenged, and challenge each other.
There are four streams in Kickstart Helix to choose from. You can apply to one stream only. Once you’re in, you’ll have the opportunity to choose different workshops so you can focus on the areas you’re passionate about, or want more development in.
Ready to make your most ambitious work? This stream is open to all kinds of artists: performing, visual, musical, interdisciplinary and everything in between! You will have a project you want to take from concept to realisation in Next Wave Festival 2018.
The newest stream in our program. Do you know how to make things happen? Do you just itch to show the world the potential in artists and ideas? Got a good sense for organisation, logistics, business – and of course, art? This is for you. There are many ways to be a producer, but step one is seeing an opportunity and knowing you want to run with it. Tell us what you need. Is it a pairing with an organisation? A mentor? To work as a producer on a Kickstart Helix project? Do you have your own project to pitch?
Like our former Emerging Curators Program, this is for those of you who are ready to work with Next Wave and a partner organisation on a curatorial project to be presented at Next Wave Festival 2018. Curators will be selected to develop new projects under the mentorship of curatorial staff from one of our partner organisations.
No more isolation for you! This program is designed to support emerging critical, experimental and creative writers who are hungry to develop a project in a Festival context. You’ll receive feedback and develop new skills through workshops and engagement with a variety of artforms.
You’re an artist, curator, producer, writer (/any or all of the above!) at the beginning of your career, eager to create ambitious new work and launch your practice through a supercharged learning and presentation opportunity. You’re of any background, any ability, and you’re based anywhere in Australia. You want to take your next big leap: you have something you are burning to do, say, show or tell. You’re up for a challenge and you are intrigued by new collaborators. You are an artist or a writer with a big idea for an ambitious new work that you’re ready to embark on. You are a curator or a producer ready to step up and lead.
We believe that a diverse conversation is the only conversation worth having. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, LGBTIQ, and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse artists as well as deaf artists and artists with disability.
— $2000 fee per project (to pay yourself to attend the intensives)
— Up to $3000 toward project costs
— A six-day residential intensive retreat at Bundanon Trust, NSW
— Two x three-day intensive professional development workshops in Melbourne, VIC
— Flights and accommodation to attend all three intensives where necessary
— Support from a Next Wave Associate Producer
— Access to a national network of partner organisations who can offer in-kind support to your project
— The opportunity to develop a project for Next Wave Festival 2018
Would you like to discuss your accessibility requirements? Would you like to submit an application in an alternate format? Talk to a friendly Next Wave staff member!
We’ll be hosting information sessions in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth during October and November. Come along to hear more about the program and ask all your burning questions!
Next Wave staff will also be visiting Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart, Launceston, Darwin and Cairns. Get in touch with us to organise a face to face meeting with our Creative Producer and/or Director!
Melbourne information session
Sydney information session
Fri 28 Oct 4pm, PACT centre for emerging artists, Erskineville
Perth information session to be announced – stay tuned!
Before we start, have you:
- Read our Top Ten Tips? Check them out now to find out how best to present yourself and your project.
- Prepared your support material? Applicants must provide links to their support material. This is usually examples of your previous work and/or support letters. Check the application form to make sure you’re including the correct type and amount for your stream.
- Prepared your CV? Applicants must provide a CV (dot point form preferred) or an artist biography. Maximum one (1) page.
- Prepared your answers for the online form? The online form cannot be saved as you work on it. Prepare your answers in advance so that you don’t lose any of your work. A word version of the application can be found here: Artist | Curator | Writer | Producer
- Put the dates of the Kickstart Helix Intensives and outcomes in your diary? Selection into the program is contingent on being available for these events. They form the backbone of your learning and collaboration experience in Kickstart Helix and are non-negotiable.
- Spoken to Next Wave? We encourage you to speak to a Next Wave staff member about your application before you apply. There are three ways to do this:
- Talk: Call us for a chat about your practice, project, application or idea.
- Meet: Next Wave is based in Melbourne and we will be travelling around Australia in October and November. We will be visiting Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Hobart, Launceston, Darwin and Cairns. Get in touch with us to organise a face to face meeting with our Creative Producer and/or Director.
- Write: We are happy to answer any enquires you have via email. We are also willing to look over and give feedback on drafts of your application up until Friday 11 November at 12 noon AEDST. Our draft reading resources are limited so it is strictly first in best dressed!
How? Call (03) 9329 9422 or email email@example.com. If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service and ask for 03 9329 9422.