Next Wave’s Kickstart program is money, time and space for artists to dream larger than they ever have before. Kickstart remains unique in Australia for its multi-faceted approach, depth and scale.
Artists participating in Kickstart build skills for sustainable artistic careers. Our development intensives focus on financial management, fundraising, innovative marketing and media relations. Artistically, we cover cross-artform collaboration, site-specificity, creative resilience, problem solving, interpersonal and leadership skill development, feedback methodology and documentation.
Kickstart is for artists keen to expand their practice and create new projects in visual arts, dance, performance, live art, new media, text, sound and beyond.
As Next Wave is a development organisation and curated biennial festival for young and emerging artists, priority is given to projects where the key artists are 30 years of age or under. Both collectives and individual artists are encouraged to apply. You can be from anywhere in Australia.
Next Wave is passionate about working with new people and supporting diversity. We have a strong history of working with people from a variety of backgrounds and we’re keen to expand this work. We are particularly keen to hear from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists. We are also keen to hear from artists with a disability.
We are interested in a mix of:
- Great ideas
- Rigorous experimentation with the artform, that reflects and pushes further towards new approaches to contemporary art – and serves that great idea
- A strong relationship with context and demonstrated curiosity about community, society and history
- A passion for locality, site and new environments for art
- Thorough research and interesting conceptual approaches
- New people, new voices and new methodologies for making art
- Interesting collaborations
- Thoughtful engagement with the viewer or audience